From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Jan 1999 19:23:00 PST
This is a spin-off from another thread where the subject of the best
approach to starting a record collection came up.

Alan, and please correct me if I'm wrong, felt that it was a good idea
to recommend to the "starter" decent recordings of relatively low price.
I can't agree with that position.  Taking Haydn solo keyboard works as
an example, you could recommend the series on Naxos.  That's certainly at
least decent and the price can't be beat.  The problem is that the starter
will not be listening to the true greatness of these works.  He/She just
might decide to forget about Haydn and his keyboard.  That would be a
shame.

My usual recommendation to starters is this:  I give them a bunch of
sampler cd's and request that they get back to me once they have listened
to them - I'm trying to get a handle on what time periods and types of
classical music they prefer.  Once that problem is solved, I give them a
list of composers and recordings that might be best.  I do consider price
in my recommendations, but only when the lower priced recording also fully
brings out the inherent excellence of the work.  My goal is to provide the
starter with the best that is available.  In my mind, that will insure that
the starter has the best start possible.  Give them your best shot; they
deserve nothing less for entering the world of classical music.

Don Satz