From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Jan 1999 19:01:06 PST
Thanh-Tam Le wrote:

>I hope that I didn't offend anyone, but if the point is to say that
>classical music is social entertainment and consumption goods, I'd
>rather leave this view to others,......

Since I'm the only person on the list who mentioned "entertainment" and
"services", I assume it's my comments that are being referred to.

I did not say that classical music is social entertainment; I said that
most concert audience members had the basic motivation of experiencing an
evening's entertainment.  Most folks do not share our love of and devotion
to classical music.  As for me, "social" and "entertainment" has nothing
to do with my partaking of classical music.

Concerning the "consumption goods" angle, it amazes me how some list
members just refuse to acknowledge the consumption and services aspects.
They exist - period.  They are not the whole picture, but they are
certainly part of it.  For me, they are the beginning stage.

One basic point I'd like to convey is that the classical music concert
audience is of a different make-up than the serious record collector.
That's the reason you hear the candy wrappers, beepers, watch alarms,
incessant talking, etc.  That is reality.  You can accept it or reject
it.  However, if you attend concerts, you will continue to hear it.

Don Satz