From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Jan 1999 02:25:55 PST
Karl Miller wrote:

>The economies of scale also work against you.  Suppose you run a large
>store that has a classical section.  Unless you know something about
>classical music yourself, how good would you be at interviewing someone
>to run the classical section.

Economies of scale never work against the company experiencing them.
These economies simply signify the reduced unit costs and increased profits
resulting from company growth.  This is the whole basis for chain stores.
Unfortunately, damage is done to the small stores which must close down and
to many aspects of customer service.

The hiring example does not fit.  It's a common fallacy that the selecting
person must have knowledge of the field that he/she is hiring for.  That is
not a significant element.  It's a cinch to hire technically knowledgeable
persons but much harder to hire individuals who possess good work ethics,
interact well with others, step up their performance at critical times, and
focus properly during work hours.  I've been hiring attorneys for twenty
years, and every applicant has the requisite legal skills.  So, the focus
of my interview process never includes technical knowledge.

Don Satz