From:
Steven Martin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Jan 1999 20:49:07 EST
This was news to me, the much touted EMI reissues of such classic
recordings as Klemperer's "Das Lied...", Barbirolli's Mahler 5 and Szell's
"4 Last Songs" with Elizabeth Schwartzkopf has apparently landed on
America's shores.  The new Rattle recording of Mahler's Third is also
finally available.

I have never heard many of these recordings such as the Barbirolli's Mahler
5 or Klemperer's German Requiem and part of the reason is that I have been
waiting for these reissues to appear.  The other reason is that scourge of
the CM addict, lack of funds:-(

While I was looking at all these CDs that I can't afford, I also saw
a Tring disk of MacKerras conducting Symphony Fantastique, a disk of
Mackerras conducting Sibelius Symphony #2 and Boult's Philharmonia
recording of the Planet Suite.  The Boult was a real surprise because it
is usually the L.S.O.  recording that one sees in stores and I recall
once hearing that the Philharmonia was perhaps even better than the
LSO recording.  Is anybody familiar with any of these recordings?

Steve M. (Northern Virginia)