From:
Greg Bright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Jan 1999 18:48:03 -0500
John wrote:

>I know many pick on the Requiem but I have to say I love the Tuba Mirum and
>Lacrymosa--the later gets very exciting towards the end of the mov't.

I am completely baffled by the (admittedly few) posters who have a
difficult time with this work.  Over the past two years the Requiem has
been the topic of a few short-lived threads while Verdi's version has
received far more attention.  This does puzzle me.  Spending time with
the Requiem is, for me at least, living with an old and dear friend.
Every aspect of it is pure artistic genius, from the first intoning of the
Requiem aeternum to the final rapturous chords of the Agnus Dei.  Between
these two are the most inventive orchestration and choral writing I have
ever heard this side of Mahler.  The melodies and counterpoint Berlioz
devises are remarkable.  Yes, I am infatuated by this work.  I've listened
and listened to the Verdi and always feel short-changed in comparison.  The
intensity is there, but not the purity of sound and purpose.  It just seems
too pragmatic, too theatrical, too bombastic.  Of all Requiems, Berlioz'
stands, for me, as the best example.

I, too, heard this work first on LP with Munch/BSO.  It's probably
worthless now, from repeated playings; but the RCA Soria Series paste-in
art work (with real gold) booklet is priceless.

This is one work I look forward to hearing in surround sound.

Greg Bright