From:
Eric Kisch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Mar 1999 23:31:25 -0500
Alexis Edorh wrote:

>Whose recordings of Bach J.S. Brandenburg concertos are worth buying
>Baumgartner's (RCA) or Neville Marriner's (EMI red line)?

I very much like Britten's set and also the Menuhin for warmth and
character.  What I've heard of Pearlman's Boston set I liked, too.
Almost all the sets out there have virtues and there are plenty of HIP
performances to choose from.  Much depends on whether you like music to
breathe or whether you like 'em as fast as possible.  Try before you buy -
if you find your breathing constricted by some of the mad dashes, then this
may not be the group for you.

Eric