From:
Bart Gerritse <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Mar 1999 10:25:02 -0600
David Stewart wrote:

>>I will get the [Elgar] Violin Conceto next.  Recommendations?

And Roger Hecht ends a long review of many, many recordings with:

>Anyway, there could not be more different recordings than Haendel and the
>first Menuhin, and I love both of them.
>
>In terms of reviews, aside from my own odd views, I recall seeing good
>reports on the second Kennedy, Chung, Sitkovetsky, Kang, Bean, the first
>Zuckerman, and the first Menuhin.  (Another good historical is Sammons.)

Gramophone had a review of available recordings not so long ago. I think
it was written by Andrew Achenbach (sp?), their usual reviewer of English
19th/20th century music. His favourite is Sammons, with Menuhin's first
close behind him. He also thought high of Haendel.

Bart Gerritse