From:
James Zehm <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Feb 2006 09:59:43 +0100
Deryk Barker <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I thought the Saraste was really awful, in the sense of dull and *this*
>was live? The Berglund gets better as it goes on - I can't sat I'm much
>impressed by his 1-3 (either EMI cycle, haven't heard the new one), 4 is
>better, 5 so-so, 6 very good and 7 not at all bad.

There are many Saraste-bashers in the world...The Saraste isn't so
bad people used to say.  To me it is a good example on a conductor who
routineally does what he has practised on in his conductors school.  I
would like to say; "A LITTLE GOOD - A LOTS OF OK".  All in all the Berglund
is better though, but still somewhat uneven, his 2 stinks f.e.

>However: I'd start collecting the new Naxos cycle, the 1/3 coupling is
>outstanding.  (Not the old Leaper set bu a new one with the Iceland SO and
>a conductor whose name escapes me).

The conductor in 1 & 3 may be the finn Petri Sakari, all the other by
Adrian Leaper. The 3 is good indeed, but surely this symphony is also a
very beautiful one. It should bear the title "pastoral".

James Zehm <[log in to unmask]>