From:
Stirling S Newberry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Jan 1999 12:51:58 -0500
Tom Godell quoted the following on Koussevitsky's copy of the score for Le
Sacre:

>"I rebarred this 'danse sacrale'. He (Koussevitzky) at first said,
>"Well, we can't change Stravinsky's rhythms." So I said, "Nothing will
>be changed.  Just your downbeat will be changed which will not affect
>anybody." Then he tried it and everything worked. He said, "It's
>wonderful. Alright, show me what you did." I did very enthusiastically,
>and he conducted my arrangement to the end of his days.

R-K performed a similar trick with some of Mussorgski's music - rebarring
several irregular measures into an easier meter.

Stirling S Newberry <[log in to unmask]>