From:
Mitch Friedfeld <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Feb 1999 21:52:54 -0500
Aaron Rabushka wrote:

>Tchaikovsky "emotionally superficial"? Now I've heard it all (although,
>I must admit, the Marriner recording of his Serenade for Strings that made
>the rounds here on the radio last week left me cold).  It's tempting to say
>that the one's who call him that "emotionally autistic."

I was the one the other day who recited PIT's main pieces: Swan Lake,
Onegin, Nutcracker, etc.  I completely forgot the Serenade for String
Orchestra, one of my very favorite pieces.  As I said about a year ago,
Tchaikovsky can make what is basically a series of scales into a wonderful
piece of music.  I've never heard a bad recording of this, and I'm sorry
Marriner's didn't make it for you.

Mitch Friedfeld