From:
Mats Norrman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Jun 2000 12:36:12 +0200
Bernard Chasan <[log in to unmask]> writes:

>Another reason may be the lack of accessible contemporary classical music.
>Other forms of music offer something written this year, and addressing this
>year's sensibilities.  There is a good deal of classical music written this
>year, but much of it seems rather arcane.  At least it has that aura.

This is a good observation.  Composing academical music is a highly
intellectual work, adn takes long time, and therefore only simpler
conmstructed music (i.e rock/popmusic) can be composed quick enough to
catch the mood of the day.  But really great artwork can catch, and have
sometimes done, in Schubert for example, the larger trends of their times,
like Schubert in his symphonies, but how many people care about our times
philosophy?

To the reasons for why many people prefer other kinds of music than
classical, I would add that for most people there is a social value in
"listening to the same music as everybody else does", as that is a good
subject for talking with likes.

Mats Norrman