From:
Ulvi Yurtsever <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Feb 1999 17:03:18 -0800
Aaron Rabushka:

>Those "annoying ding-dongs and chin-chins" are precisely what makes
>Webern's version of the Ricercare Webern as well as Bach.

Yes, I guess that is why they are there.

>In addition to its own artistic value it can help introduce people new
>to Webern to his work in a context that they may find more friendly (i.e.,
Bach).

Well, I don't think this arrangement is a good way to be introduced to
Webern's music; it's probably a better introduction to Bach than to Webern.

For Webern, I'd choose "Im Sommerwind" (sp?) as an introduction.  The
problem with introduction to Webern is that by the time you are introduced,
you are done with him; his output is so small (unfortunately)...

Ulvi