From:
Steve Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 May 2000 20:12:39 -0500
Bill Pirkle responds to Deryk Barker:

>>Unfortunately, you have just assigned *all* country music records
>>made before the late 50s to the classical camp.  ...  Same thing applies
>>- but not for the same reason - to all the country blues recordings...
>
>OK, I'll play it this way.  I will assert that the above mentioned music
>IS classical and belongs in the same class with the music of Bach, Mozart,
>Beethoven, Chopin, Wagner, et al.  Now, anyone who disagrees posts to this
>thread by completing the following sentence -
>
>"Its not classical music because ..."
>
>It will be interesting to see if there is a reason that has no
>exception in CM:-)

I think you're asking for the wrong thing.  How about classical music
tolerates less freedom of "arrangement" than does pop? For example, "Blue
Moon" as doo-wop, by Bolcom and Morris, or by Billie Holiday is still "Blue
Moon." Beethoven's Fifth and that disco classic "A Fifth of Beethoven"
aren't both Beethoven's Fifth.

As to putting stuff in the same class, have fun.  It's your class, after
all.

Steve Schwartz