From:
Mats Norrman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Apr 2000 08:22:02 +0200
Steve Schwartz [[log in to unmask]] desarms the bomb:

>...  I want to know what the *musical* reason is - that is, based on the
>music so far and the music in totality and the section in itself to be
>repeated, what does the repeat contribute other than simply make the work
>longer?

That's wrong answer!  Go back to square 1 and try again!!!

>I love Allan Pettersson's music.  Actually, I find many procedural
>similarities between Pettersson and another favorite of mine, Robert
>Simpson.  Among other things, I find both have strong affinities with
>the music of Beethoven, without imitating Beethoven.  That takes brains,
>at least.

Steve disarms the bomb in his first statement.  I thought he was claiming
he didn't liked the repeats, and I had hoped him to say that now, so I
could nuke him with this atombomb right in his head:

"How can it come you say you don't want repeats and say you like Pettersson
meanwhile? Of course there are no repeats in classic sence in Petterssons
music, but still he is the most repetetive composer I know of.  You know
the 6th symphony? That figure played by a flute and a xylophone
simultaneously, is repeated - and I have counted them myself - 27 times.
27 times.  And under it lays a bassline that is repeated at least 25 times,
and these are just examples...."

I was intriguing and had thought out something lousy for Steven, and I
hadn't deserved to get away with it.

Mats Norrman