From:
Mimi Ezust <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Apr 2000 10:21:06 -0400
Peter Goldstein wrote:

>With all the talk about popular musicians' borrowing from the classics,
>I wonder if anyone's interested in a thread on classical composers'
>borrowings from each other.  Back in the early 70s I did a couple of
>Classical Music Plagiarism Orgies on WHRB, and, as the saying goes, I got
>a million of 'em.  A few of the better known:
>
>1) The opening of Mahler's Third and the finale of Brahms' First

First of all, YAAAAY WHRB!  My favorite local station has gone 'net' and
can be heard in all of its streaming lovliness.  I'm grateful to all of
the folks who ever worked for WHRB.  They have given me hours of listening
pleasure especially with the Orgies.

The opening of Mahler Fifth can be matched with one of the Mendelssohn
"Songs Without Words" (the second one?).  I haven't checked the score, so
the rhythm might not be exact.  It is the very opening statement of both
compositions.

Mimi Ezust <[log in to unmask]>