From:
Robert Baldwin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Feb 1999 09:24:48 -0800
Has anyone else besides me on this list had a "second coming" in terms
of appreciating the greatness of Tchaikovsky? Here I am, at the ripe old
age of 45, only now beginning to appreciate this master.  Listening today
in my car to a Bernstein-conducted CD of the Symphony #4 plus the
(symphony-unto-itself) Overture "Francesco di Rimini," I was reminded of
a quote attributed to Herbert Spencer (and found in AA's "Big Book"):

   "There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which
   is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man
   in everlasting ignorance--that principle is contempt prior to
   investigation." (p. 570)

In my case, I can only be grateful that an initial exposure to
Disney-generated gyrating mushrooms (in "Fantasia") didn't stop me
from appreciating the hidden jewels revealed by the full score of "The
Nutcracker"; that the "1812 Overture" (a score I first fell in love with
at the age of 5) didn't barrel over the subtle counterpoint of chromatic
string-descents against brass and woodwind to be found in the second half
of "Francesco", etc., etc.

So, thank the gods I have been able to move on from my callow, shallow
twenties (a contemptuous and contemptible decade of life for many,
especially myself!) when I dismissed this master's music as being
saccharine, syrupy, treacly, and all those other sticky synonyms!

Gratefully,

Rob Baldwin