From:
Walter Meyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Feb 1999 23:16:23 -0500
Sandra Beane wrote:

>[log in to unmask] writes:
>
>>I recommend you the String Quartet nr.1 after Tolstoy, The Kreutzer Sonata
>
>I agree with this.  I did research on this quartet, and if you know the
>story by Tolstoy, it makes the quartet even more interesting.  I think that
>I read that there is no correlation between the 2 but I could analyze it.

I seem to be sensing a Moebius-like returning to one's starting point, only
upside down, in the progress of Beethoven's sonata (the only work in this
sequence of works that I know).  Beethoven's sonata, which I understand
some people w/prurient minds believed to be an appropriate seeting for an
act of adultery, became, I think the background for Tolstoy's story of the
same name.  That adultery was then in turn made the subject of Janacek's
quartet.

I'm almost waiting for a quartet entitled "Rachaminoff's Second Piano
Concerto" ("New Moon and Broken Arms") based upon the film *Brief
Encounter*!

Walter Meyer