From:
Denis Fodor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Dec 1999 17:48:01 -0500
Donald Satz mocks Denis Fodor for observing that totalitarian regimes
sustained classical music:

>It sounds so good, I wish I had been there.  The only problem is that
>after I listened to all that great music, I'd get gassed and burned up.

Fret not, they even had a band at Auschwitz.

>Denis is putting an attractive veneer on what was essentially hell on
>earth.

See it as you will, Don (you usually do so, anyway), but Denis actually
experienced both the Nazis and the Communists and knows that all the veneer
in the world won't expunge their crimes against humanity.  (But their bands
played on, and rather well, at that).

>The little punk nazis weren't against music per se; in fact, they wanted
>to use it.  So, they used the big names and halls and radio stations and
>orchestras to THEIR advantage...  Classical music during Hitler's regime
>was maintained because he and his entourage wanted it maintained.  The
>guy did like classical music, and HE controlled it.

You have just constructed a gnome for the concept of totalitarianism.

Denis Fodor                     Internet:[log in to unmask]