From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Dec 1999 12:35:30 PST
Robert Palmer wrote in response to me:

>>....If classical music can't make it on its own, it's goodbye....
>
>What does Mr. Satz mean by "on its own."

Without benefit of any funding from public agencies.  In other words,
without taking any taxpayer monies.  Concerning private support, that's
for private individuals and entities to decide; it's none of my business.

>I assume that Mr. Satz does not wish to deny these arts organizations the
>type of supplemental income they now enjoy and depend on.

I don't *wish* to deny anybody a thing.  But, I emphatically am against
using taxpayer funding for anything musical.  I think that Government
should have a "minimalist" mind set concerning public funding instead of
the "anything goes" mindset that usually pervades the process.  You know,
public support for Art music doesn't have to involve money.

Don Satz