From:
Ulvi Yurtsever <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Dec 1999 02:53:11 -0500
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Ray Bayles wrote:
>
>>...  I never buy Teldec discs anymore...
>
>When I initially read Ray's post, I didn't feel any affinity with his
>views.  But, after some reflection, I have noticed that a few piano
>concerto recordings from Teldec have not pleased me: Barenboim doing
>Mozart, Argerich doing Mozart, and Argerich doing Schumann.

It's a pity that Don didn't like the Argerich Mozart disc.  Assuming
this is the CD with the piano concerto No.20, I found this disc perfectly
enjoyable, in fact the best recording of No.20 (1st and 3rd movements) I
have.  To use a technical term, I thought Argerich and the orchestra just
"nail" this piece (just listen to the way the horns blow away the
competition in mvmnts 1 and 3).

The only real problem with this recording is the second mvmnt., where both
Argerich and the orchestra are too hard-driven in the fast middle section
(not to mention a bit of rythmic unsteadiness on Argerich's part).

Ulvi