From:
Bob Draper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Dec 1999 08:30:59 +0000
Donald Satz wrote:

>...  What's easier for me is deciding which conductor I like best in
>the later Haydn symphonies.  There's something about Colin Davis in this
>repertoire which I don't find in any other conductor; a pacing and flow
>that I find irresistable.

I agree about Davis except in Symphony 91.  Something went wrong there and
the sound is very astringent.

>Groves is also fine; I have a couple of his Haydn recordings through MCA
>or IMP.

Groves 'Oxford' is the best in my view.

>I noticed that a set from Bruggen (82-87?) is finally making its way into
>the USA.  Any opinions on his performances?

These were very highly rated when first released.  I haven't heard them but
will look out for them.  I believe these are HIPs.

Bob Draper
** Seasons Greetings To All Listers **