From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Dec 1999 12:18:14 PST
Edouard Cruz wrote in response to Ulvi Yurtsever:

>>I am curious if you'll also find Faure's chamber music lacking in
>>the warmth department.
>
>I have the complete opposite impression.  Chamber music by Debussy,
>Ravel, and Faure warm my cold winters.  Listening to their music
>is like taking a walk in the French coutryside during a hot summer
>afternoon after lunch.

Well put.  I think Faure's chamber music goes down well regardless of the
time of day or year.  But, after lunch, I usually feel like nodding off.
I'd say Faure is a man for all seasons and time zones.

It was also nice to read that Mimi finds plenty of warmth in these works.
Her tastes and mine are not usually on the same plane, but I've noticed
that we do tend to converge on chamber works of the romantic period.  Heck,
I even noticed that John Smyth and I share the same opinion of the new
Mahler 7th from Tilson-Thomas.  There's something going on here, and I
don't mind a bit.

Don Satz