From:
Mats Norrman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Dec 1999 18:50:47 +0100
Deryk Barker <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Dan Schmidt ([log in to unmask]) wrote:
>
>>The only example I can think of is the cliche of opening a piece with music
>>that sounds like the orchestra tuning up.  ...
>
>I think it was done long before Del Tredici.  And how about Stockhausen's
>Momente, which begins with the chorus applauding?

It was made loooooong before. Haydn. Symphony nr.60. But I wouldn't say
that one annoying OTOH.

"John G. Deacon" <[log in to unmask]> writes:

>Has anyone any other instances of opening passages which really
>"wind them up"?

The opening of Beethovens 1.  symphony might have had a great impact on its
time, with those wonderful dissonant -> consonant tensions.

Deryk Barker <[log in to unmask]> again:

>I'd go along with that; and, along similar lines, how about the opening of
>Mahler 1? A seven octave pp A from the strings

I wanted to mention that one, but Deryk was quicker, now thanks to that he
is more in pace with the list outsends, which appears mostly when I sleep
in my bed middle in the night.

I live in hope of one day hearing this played in tune...:-)

Oje, go listen to Kubeliks '68 and stop exaggerate:-)

>One of my favourite openings of anything is of Berwald's Sinfonie
>Singuliere.  Once heard never forgotten.

Tuu ta-tuu ta-tuu tatutauatauu...You see it is stuck in Mats' little brain
too.  But I hate this opening more than any other, and I wished it was
possible to forget it.  If I succeeded (what I not can), I will never
listen to it again.

Mats Norrman