From:
Ralf Oehlmann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Dec 1999 03:31:44 -0500
Nate DeMaria <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I am looking to buy a recording of the Rachmaninoff piano concertos.

The analogue Askenazy/Previn cycle (Decca 455234-2) is much preferable to
the digital recordings with Haitink.  I (and some friends too) sold the
digital set immediately after listning in Ashkenazys old recording (those
of you having the Ashkenazy/Haitink cycle and want to compare might listen
in the 3rd concerto where the difference is most obviously).  In addition
the old cycle contains many other great piano works by Rachmaninov on four
more discs.  Excellent sound.

Ralf Oehlmann