From:
Mats Norrman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Dec 1999 18:38:28 +0100
I also want to play!!

Here are my selections:

* Schoenbergs op.11
* Sjostakovitj Symphony nr.7
* Cages 4'33
* Mahlers Symphony nr.8
* Blomdahls "Aniara"

And a few comments, as I think it wouldn't be much rutabaga in sending the
choices to the list without reason for choosing.

First of all:  Stravinskijs "Le Sacre de Printemps" is a good work to have
on this list, but it is probably suggested by so many others, so history
might forgive me for leaving it out.

Schoenbergs op.11 is an important work (my listing is in no particular
order), and will be remembered, I foretell, as the first work in which
Schoenberg broke the traditional rules AND inserted his own rules.

At least one of Sjostakovitjs requiems to symphonies should have their
palce here. The 8. symphony is a great and mighty emotional painting of
sorrow, and qualifys here as well. The 9. symphony is full of parody and
irony.  The 13. symphony "Babi Yar" would also do and also qualifies here,
as a requiem of the evilness of fascism. Though I finally decided for the
7. as it attacks both the nazi regime and the soviet communistdespotismus,
the war, and all its tragics. It is also more traditional and conventional
that the 8.

One can always discuss the musical technical qualities in Cages "4'33", but
after all it has generated a lot of discussions on what music and art in
general is, what a pieces of music fills for kind of function in society
and in a lot of fields. It will I think be remembered by coming generations
as a monument over the wonder about wherehin art is going in a time where
there no longer are any -isms.

Mahler must be represented I think, as the great "compleator" in
romanticism and the symphonic form. Still I think and hope the last
word isn't said with Mahler. (and Sjosty but he already represented)

Finally I have choosed Blomdahls Science-Fiction opera "Aniara", and
that has nothing to do I am partial to all turnips in the world.  I have
chosen this work mainly thanks to its libretto (by nobelprize winner Harry
Martinsson).  It talks about a spaceship which looses its traced route in
a instellear spacetravel, and has to float around in the endless spaces
until all its passengers are dead, and even after.  It is an allegory on
the human world and the humans role and conditions in universe, about the
mystery of life, and...so much is baked in into this story that it makes it
one of the finest and most complex texts I know of.  Indeed a masterpiece
of our century!

Forgive me, world, for having to leave out a bunch of other interesting,
fine and important works! I hope they will be mentioned by others.

Mats Norrman