From:
Joel Hill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Dec 1999 18:13:22 -0500
Jon Lewis wrote:

>Hopefully Ogdon's go at the Alkan will be enough for me to get to know the
>piece by.
>
>What about the ASV 2cd where one Jack Gibbons plays the complete op. 39
>sprawl? I thought if Alkan was up my alley that might be one to check out
>in the future.  Have you heard it? Also, are there any good online sources
>for some bio on this Alkan geezer?

Almost nothing on-line, except at my page (see below).  Smith's books are
a necessity.  I understand that there is a newer book out, but have not
seen it.  Anyone?? Is it in French??

I have the LP of the Ogdon Concerto, for which I paid a small fortune years
ago.  It is quite good.  I haven't heard the CD version, but it has to be
better than the grainy surfaces of the LP.  I am staying away from the
Ogdon 2CD since I already have the Busoni on both LP and CD.

Gibbons gives a very lush account of the Concerto, but Hamelin must be
heard to be believed.  I don't necessarily like his better than the several
other versions that I have, but it is stupendous piano playing.

Drop in on my site, which is still under construction.  Send me a note if
you have any questions.  Hopefully Dave will get around to linking my Alkan
page from Classical Net.

Joel Hill
Tallahassee, FL - USA
ALKAN Web Page: http://www.nettally.com/joelhill/alkan