From:
Richard Pennycuick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Dec 1999 07:46:09 +1100
Jon Lewis asked about Alkan recordings:

>What about the ASV 2cd where one Jack Gibbons plays the complete op. 39
>sprawl?

I've heard only bits of this but it sounds fine - the reviews were good,
IIRC.  You might also consider Ronald Smith on APR (a small English label)
which also has, among other things, the incredibly eerie Song of the Mad
Woman on the Seashore.  I recently heard Stephanie MacCallum's version of
the Symphonie from her Op 39 on Tall Poppies and was most impressed.  And
you *must* hear Hamelin's version of the Grande Sonate (Hyperion).

Richard Pennycuick