From:
Eric Schissel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Dec 1999 19:14:27 -0500
Belated 80th birthday wishes to (the memory of) Moisei Vainberg (1919-1996)
(probably born Dec.  8, 1919)!

Composer of 19 or 20 symphonies (those I know - 1-8, 10, 12, and 14-19-
seem quite good), 17 string quartets (likewise), 5 violin and piano
sonatas, 3 violin solo sonatas, 4 cello sonata sonatas, 2 cello and piano
sonatas, a piano trio, a piano quintet, many operas (the one I've seen -
"Congratulations!", to a text by Sholom Aleichem- seems good too- I mean
that I have seen it in vocal score), film scores (many) and much else.
(To, so to speak, renew an old feud unnecessarily ;)- I object to the
description of his music as Shostakovichian not because I find it to be
an insult to him- I don't- but because I find it to be inaccurate.  *g*
Anyway...) Olympia (http://www.olympia-cd.com) seems to be embarked on a
valuable project to record and release a lot of Vainberg's music, perhaps
even all of it- please support them.  (If it needs to be said- and it
.does.- I have no financial interest of any kind here.)

Best-Eric Schissel