Jon Lewis <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 13 Dec 1999 15:44:19 -0500
Well, here's my contribution to the list-making glut: which composers'
music are you most resolved to explore in the coming year? Also including
areas of output you've neglected of composers you already like.  Here's
mine:

1. Szymanowski-- esp. solo piano and vocal-with-orchestra. I Like the
Rumi connection.
2. Busoni-- as we've already seen in another thread.
3. Birtwistle-- looks damn good on paper to this Greenaway fanatic. I'll
start with either Secret Theatre on CPO or the Earth Dances/Panic disc
by Dohnanyi and we'll see.
4. Ars Subtilior-- not a single composer, I know (a school? genre? time
period?) I don't really understand what the deal is but the Realaudio
clips from the Philip Pickett disc sound really great!
5. Mozart's piano concertos-- I only know the "hits" and then only when
the radio wanted to play them to me. I'm fairly convinced these will be
the Mozart I'll most connect with-- the most formally inventive I
gather.
6. Tippett-- I've had one listen to Symphonies 2 and 4 (BBC cover disc),
and my curiosity is piqued.
7. Leifs-- like Birtwistle, sounds great on paper. Plus, I fetishise my
3/4 Scandinavian heritage. Probably start with Saga Symphony.
8. Beethoven's late String Quartets-- I've neglected these in favor of
all his other output. Maybe because of their lofty reputation. Time to
get over it.
9. Christus-- big ol' gaping hole in my Liszt picture. I'm quite afraid
of works that don't fit onto two CDs. For this one I may have to "cheat"
and do one movement at a time over a few weeks.
Thus stands my oath,

Jon Lewis