From:
Franco Destefanis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Dec 1999 19:34:19 +0100
Joel Lazar wrote:

>I do not believe there are any live Bruno Walter performances
>"legitimately" on records except for the Vienna Philharmonic Mahler 9
>and Lied von Der Erde from the 1930s.

An exhaustive account of how the recordimg of Mahler Ninth Symphony
came about are given in the booklet contained in the CD published by EMI
Europe in 1990.  The english text was written by Alan Blyth and gives
various interesting details of the live recording technique of 1938 and
its follow-up.  If somebody is interested I could copy and send an excerpt
of A.Blyth text.

Franco Destefanis
Rome - Italy