From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Dec 1999 19:55:22 PST
Billy Kitson wrote:

>What are "Views/Opinions" concerning this fellow??

Paisiello was a classsical-era composer who has had quite a few recordings
devoted to his music the past few years.  I'm familar with his piano
concertos and one opera (Barber of Seville).  The piano concertos contained
some nice melodies; I played them a few times but very little in recent
history.  The opera did not appeal to me; the differences in musical
inspiration when compared to Rossini's Barber are very wide.

I do think that if you like Haydn's keyboard concertos, you will find
Paisiello's worthwhile.  They are charming.  Among other alternatives,
there are two very good cds of the concertos from ASV which provides a
rich sound that probably helps matters considerably.

Don Satz