From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Dec 1999 08:07:54 PST
It was nice reading that Jos thought as highly of the Hickox recording as
I did in my short review.  Unfortunately, that opinion is not universal.
I just read the Fanfare review of the cd in their September/October issue
(I'm behind in my reading), and the reviewer had these comments:

   "Textures sometimes sound excessively busy, and there is a certain
   doctrinaire stiffness about the whole enterprise...." I didn't notice
   anything of that nature.

   "The vocal soloists mostly do very well, with a strong contribution
   from soprano Nancy Argenta..."

I considered Argenta the weak link among the vocalists.

The reviewer did not care for the speaking role in the aria from Alfred,
considering the voice "too backward to be properly heard".  He doesn't
mention the fantastic voice of Jacqueline Fox as the speaker; apparently he
could hardly hear her, but I heard her clear as a bell and am still looking
for her.

Lastly, the reviewer considered the Alfred incidental music to be
"trifles".  I thought it was a strong highlight of the disc.

Whose views to trust? Trust me, Jos, and the ARG reviewer who also
considered the disc outstanding.  Why? The Fanfare reviewer has a little
bias against period instruments.  Here's the quote that proves it - "The
orchestra makes a satisfyingly crisp impact without any of the acidity that
sometimes afflicts period instruments".  That type of comment is a sure
tip-off that the reviewer is not a period instrument fan.  I'm done.

Don Satz