From:
Deryk Barker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Dec 1999 10:11:11 -0800
Deryk Barker wrote of the Opus Clavicembalisticum:

>Actually Achim, not the only for a very long time.  Another pianist, whose
>name currewntly escapes me, attempted it in public not long afterwards.

Nope.  This was the 1930s.  Ogdon became familiar with the piece in the
1950s and in 1959 (IIRC) performed it in private for Christopher Grieve aka
Hugh M'Diarmid, the dedicatee (E duobus unum) of OC.  This was apparently
the only time he ever heard the piece.  The composer Ronald Stevenson was
also present I believe.

Ogdon's recording was made in 1987-8 with the full consent of the composer.

He also performed it in London in July 1988 and again (the shortened
version) a few months later.  He died in 1989.  Alas, illness kept me from
his complete performance, although I have a copy of the programme form a
friend who did attend.

Deryk Barker