From:
William Hong <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Dec 1999 13:58:01 -0500
Mats Norrman wrote in reply to Tom Connor:

>>Thanks to Mats, I now have a chance to ask this group for suggestions.
>>What is your favorite Haydn fun music?
>
>the symphony nr.60 "Il distratto", which I mentioned in my recent post,
>is a riot.  I like also the characterization of a chicken in Symphony
>nr.83, with the same name: "Die Henne".  The surprising forte in 94
>"Paukenschlag" (which not is a timpani hit) is notorious.

The "Surprise" in #94 is in the second movement, whereas the "Paukenschlag"
is in the finale.  But IMO, too many recordings of #94 totally miss that
latter "surprise", making it a semi-loud roll rather than a true
drumstroke.

Let's also remember the fortissimo bassoon fart in the slow movement of
#93.  And that's just in the London symphonies!

Bill H.