From:
Deryk Barker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Dec 1999 14:11:54 -0800
Jon Lewis ([log in to unmask]) wrote:

>Your recommendation may edge me into shelling out for the Fischer though,
>if it's perhaps not quite as blazingly over-the-top as his Harmonia Mundi
>disc of Les Preludes/Tasso etc...  what do you hear in that regard? And
>how is Rattle?

Rattle gets better as he goes along - but his 1st mvt is weak.

Fischer is superb: well-played, well-recorded, not OTT, interpretively
IMHO in the same league as Horenstein and Beecham.  (BTW, the first
Horenstein is on a very cheap Vox twofer c/w Wagner's faust Overture
*and* Horenstein's 1955 Bruckner 8).

AND, Fischer includes both the original instrumental and the revised
choral finale. You can program the player to use either.

Deryk Barker