From:
Philip Peters <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Feb 1999 23:09:52 +0100
Steven Martin wrote:

>...  In particular, I know that EMI has reissued some Bach Cantatas with
>him conducting, how is this recording? I am trying to pick up some Cantatas
>without bankrupting myself (ie.  Koopman or Leonhardt are a No-Go).  I
>picked up a disk of Cantatas with Karl Richter conducting last week and
>enjoyed it immensely.  My ears tell me that this is definitely NOT a HIP
>performance is this correct?

Richter's Bach - great as it is - was even recorded before sucn a thing as
HIP existed.  Goennenwein isn't a HIP conductor either but did wonderful
Bach cantatas, a great Matthew, a curious apocryphal Marc Passion, a very
good Messiah and Dettinger Te Deum and a lot of other good stuff.  If
you're not dogmatic you may well come to like his work a lot.  It seems he
is an example of an underrated conductor.

Philip Peters