From:
Jon Lewis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Nov 1999 12:44:05 -0500
Ok, I'd better just put these down before I think it over past the
deadline:

1.  Debussy, Preludes for solo piano (if I am only allowed to vote for one
of the two books then I'll vote for book II): Listening to a 20th century
solo piano work? Then chances are you're hearing the genetic signature of
at least part of at least one of these exquisite and profound miniatures.

2.  Sibelius, Tapiola: exemplifies the total integration of musical
material, as well as the "depiction" of a natural subject with all the
humans taken out-- one of my favorite 20th century trends.

3.  Bartok, Piano Concerto no. 2: Movements I and III are what I think of
when I think of neo-classicism as a good thing, and in movement II we have
a great example of the so-called "Night Music" which Bartok pretty much
forged and is heard in so many later composers' work.

4.  Schoenberg, Pierrot Lunaire: for the carnival-grotesque as high art--
a pervading and rewarding pleasure of our century-- and for the fact that
almost all subsequent vocal works I like seem to remind me of this one way
or another.  Anybody know of a collection of this poet's works (Giraud,
isn't it)? I've long wondered.

5.  Mahler, Das Lied von der Erde: because all the good 20th century
vocal works not covered by no. 4 above are covered by Das Lied.  I'm not
bothered by the fact that all 5 are pre-WWII, on the principle that only
time can tell.  The second half of the century still figures in, as the
obvious influence there of these pieces helped me decide on them.

Jon Lewis