From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Nov 1999 11:52:57 PST
The Art of Fugue is usually performed on harpsichord or piano, but now and
then an organ performance is released.  Use of any of these instruments is
valid, and the organ provides some unique features to the composition.

There is a "macabre" element to the Art of Fugue which only the organ can
excellently display.  And a new recording on Temperaments by an artist
named Koito does just that.  From the opening Contrapuntus, Koito clearly
delights in summoning up the demonic aspects of the work.  And she has
a "big-boned" approach and organ to match.  Hers is a highly individual
account which I think works and wears very well.  The highlight of the
work for me, Contrapuntus III, is glorious and deeply felt in Koito's
interpretation.

My basic reference for recorded organ versions of the Art of Fugue has been
Alain's on Erato, a fine performance which is now overshadowed by the new
Koito recording.

Don's Conclusion - Must buy.

Don Satz