From:
Kevin Sutton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Nov 1999 23:50:49 -0600
Lakshman Joseph De Saram wrote:

>Dear list, anyone for a discussion on the relative merits of Celibidache
>and Karajan.  And where the BPO and classical music in general would be
>now if Celibidache compromised and stayed on as director of that great
>organization in Berlin.

Now you have started it!

Well, here's my opening salvo:

Karajan: Doubtless a fine musician and master conductor, but his
homogeneity of sound may have done the music world more harm than good.
I don't much care about his political controversies, although I would be
against anything to do with Nazism.  Have enjoyed many of his recordings.

Celibidache: is in my opinion one of the great orchestra builders.  His
intensity of line and profundity of interpretation have moved me beyond
belief more times than I care to count.  One of the giants of our art.

Kevin Sutton