From:
Art Scott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Nov 1999 18:00:20 -0800
Eric Kisch opined:

>The best piano recordings were and are made by Connoisseur Society
>where you get a close sound that somehow has air mixed with it to give
>a realistic perspective and full round tone that clearly defines the
>instrument.

In a classical world fraught with controversy, one thing on which nearly
everyone seems to agree is that Connoisseur Society makes the best piano
records (and that the Moravec recordings are their jewel in the crown.)
Their remarkable sound depends on two elements, I think: extended bass,
and "living room size" perspective.  So that with a good full-range system
in a normal-sized listening room and the volume adjusted right one can
conjure up a plausible illusion that the piano is really "there".  Just how
they achieve that (choice of mikes, halls and mike placement) is I suppose
a trade secret held tightly by E.  Alan Silver & Patricia Duciaume.  When
auditioning equipment the first thing I listen to is ALWAYS a Connoisseur
piano LP or CD.  That separates the sheep from the goats right away.

I haven't listened carefully, but I've had the impression the the VAI &
Nonesuch reissues of the Moravec Connoisseur LPs have lost some of the
spooky realism that the original LPs have.  Connoisseur's current CDs,
as you note, are still the best. Try David Buechner playing Joseph Lamb
rags (CD4216).  Anyone know if a Connoisseur LP discography can be had
somewhere?

Art Scott
Livermore, Cal.