From:
Lee Goggin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Nov 1999 16:01:05 -0600
This is my first post to MCML--I am unable to resist contributing to Mr.
Crisp's Twentieth Century Poll.  As a bit of introduction, my name is Lee
Goggin and I unfortunately have no training in music and am unable to play
an instrument; the only qualification I have is a love for music.  Anyway,
here goes.  After the first they are in no particular order.

1.  Stravinsky, Rite of Spring.  This is so obvious that I believe it
should be disqualified, but in the absence of any such disqualification,
I feel compelled to list six choices instead of five.

2.  Shostakovich, Lady Macbeth of Mtsinsk.  If operas are not permitted,
then the Thirteenth Symphony.

3.  Shostakovich, the quartets.

4.  Bartok. the quartets.

5.  Britten, Spring Symphony.

6.  Hindemith, Requiem--When Lilacs Last in the Dooryard Bloom'd.

Best Regards to all.  I have been lurking in the background for some time
now, and the exposure has expanded my horizons extensively.

Lee Goggin