HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
William White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Jul 2001 14:20:09 -0700
The U.S. post office to which Mr. Buhr refers to (see below) was designed by
Frederick Joseph Delongchamps who was prolific in a number of building
designed by him in downtown Reno.  Approximately 11 years ago, the local
Jewish community was up in arms regarding the "swastika" embellishments to
the PO's interior design and wanted them removed, despite their historic
nature.  The SHPO and an historian from the USPO Washington office met with
the group and finally convinced them that the designs were not
representative of or influenced by the Nazi regime, but rather typical of
architectural design elements of the time.