HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Thu, 28 Jun 2001 22:22:58 -0400
Another note for the Trivia Bin:

El Condor Cheese Factory, Baja California. Back in 1969, Emma Lou Davis,
Curator of Archaeology, San Diego Museum of Man, directed a 10-day expedition
to Baja California to test excavate a prehistoric site. We stopped in the
quaint community of El Condor for lunch and had the most scrumptious meals
with a side of mouth-watering Mexican goat cheese. She asked the proprieter
where the cheese was made and how she might obtain a few kilos to take along
on the expedition. The proud man invited the entire crew to finish our meals
and then join him out back for a tour of the cheese factory.  We found a
courtyard full of butter churns, wooden troughs with goat milk, lots of
mechanical equipment that made little sense at the time (could have been the
tequila working...or 32 years...to dim the memory). But the most spectacular
sight was the cheese press. Several hundred kilos of cheese were being
pressed in the center of the courtyard in an ancient wooden mold. Pressing
down the mold were a half dozen beams teetering on rock fulcrums and weighed
down with automotive engine blocks! It was really the most amazing thing I
had ever seen. Of course, I did not think to take photos of the operation.
This is getting to be so long ago that you could call this an oral history
source.

Ron May
Legacy 106, Inc.