HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Timothy James Scarlett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Jan 2001 13:58:05 -0600
Greetings to all-

I am looking for people with experience studying the chemistry of
earthenware and stoneware.  I just received the results of all my
neutron activation analyses of earthenware and stoneware from Utah
potteries (1848-1930.)  I have specific questions about the effect of
the high ranges of firing upon the vessel chemistry (over 1200 degrees
F).  Specifically, the effects upon sodium.

Also, I have a second question for anyone with experience with pottery
kilns.  In a feature containing a mixture of rubble and kiln wasters,
I recovered about 4 or 5 different sizes and types of bricks.  I
sampled the most complete chunks of each brick type.  Quite to my
surprise, while washing artifacts last night I discovered one brick
fragment was quite unusual.  The fragment is a broken corner of a
brick, and the strange thing is that this corner was CLEARLY angled at
43 degrees.  The brick is of similar thickness to other rectangular
bricks, and could have been triangular or formed a parallelogram.
It's shape also suggests that if it was triangular, than it was a
right triangle, with the other angles set at 90 and 47 degrees.  The
brick is not over-fired or warped and the edges are still clean.  Its
Weird.

Any thoughts?  Please mail off list and I will post a summary.

Cheers,
Tim
----------------------------------
Timothy Scarlett