Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Fri, 24 Dec 1999 12:58:48 -0700
From:
Ray Bayles <[log in to unmask]>
Ok, Don, I take it back...  I do want (and will buy) the Schiff Beethoven
concertos on Teldec...  and perhaps some of the others you mention...  I
have been getting Teldec recordings for review (free, usually) for several
years...  and even free, a lot of them are suspect...

Overall, I have had very good luck with the recordings I get from BMG.

Tangentially, I do think it is good to put various recording companies
on notice when their quality suffers...  but it is almost impossible
nowadays to do so...  So many of the recordings I receive for review come
from a contract distributor with no longer any link back to the company
that produced them...  Like nobody cares, with the only measure of success
being sales.  Good stuff that doesn't sell is no different than a badly
engineered recording...  just something to be ignored.  In my recent
christmas shopping tours of New York, Boston, and Tucson, I found mostly
very medicre recordings and some very badly engineered ones being heavily
promoted on those cardboard racks at the front of the stores.  How are we
ever going to get better public acceptance of classical music when the
music offered is only marginal...

Ray Bayles