Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Thu, 23 Dec 1999 13:49:22 PST
From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Julia Werthimer wrote in response to Bill Karzas:

>>I just can't help needling Don Satz.
>
>Also meaning no offense, but I must admit I was flabbergasted to
>read that Don (who confessed he did not really care for Fidelio)
>had about a half-a-dozen recordings of it!  What could be the point
>of that?  And how many recordings does Don have of his very  favourite
>pieces?

Didn't anyone tell you folks that this is the time of year to be nice to
Don Satz?

Half-a-dozen? That sounds like a lot of cds - I prefer to say "six".
Beyond that, I only have four versions, but I will have six before the
end of the year.

Julia's also not quite on target about my views on the work itself.  I
didn't write that I didn't care for Fidelio; I wrote that I did not find it
"compelling" although "I had no idea why".  That's a significant difference
for me (the circle is not closed).  Hey, I'm just trying to weasel my way
out of this one.  Overall, I am intent on continuing to explore this opera
and the different interpretations with the goal of loving it some day.  It
is Beethoven after all, and I'm gonna get to the heart of the opera.

How many recordings do I have of my favorite works? A HUMONGOUS amount.
Is there a point to any of this? I don't know or care.  I'm just enjoying
myself without consideration of objective value added.  I buy and listen to
all these recordings for the same reason I'm on this list - pure pleasure.
Any other benefits I derive are bonuses.

Don Satz