Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Tue, 21 Dec 1999 10:17:09 PST
From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Wes Crone wrote:

>Is a person missing out when they don't take the time to listen to
>music they dislike?

That's a tough question to answer.  Some people are more adventurous than
others; some feel very secure with the works and composers they love and
have no interest in other music.  It's up to the individual to take the
path that most satisfies.

Personally, I have much trouble with contemporary classical music.  Some
of it I am convinced is not worth my time; some of it leaves me with the
feeling that increased exposure might yield good results.  Ligeti is in the
latter category.  The main point I would make is that one or two listenings
to an unfamiliar work doesn't cut it - I feel that's shortchanging the
composer, the work, and the listener.  As an example, I've been grappling
with a Cerha string chamber disc on CPO for a few months.  I know this
music is not "garbage", but I haven't really assimilated it yet although
I've listened quite a few times.  I'm sticking with it and have a decent
degree of confidence that it will click for me at some point.

Don Satz