Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Sat, 18 Dec 1999 13:02:35 PST
From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Renato Vincius wrote concerning Mozart's piano concertos:

>Another great player is Wilhelm Kempff on the nr 20 and 23 or Alicia
>de Larrocha too.

I've been collecting the de Larrocha/Davis recordings on RCA and
enjoy them greatly; she's very smooth and elegant.  Mozart sounds good
that way.  But, there is more to the music which de Larrocha declines to
explore.  Her Mozart playing reminds me of Keith Jarrett who has recorded
two 2-cd sets of the concertos for ECM.  He also restricts himself to
pacing and elegance.  When I miss the angst and power of Moart's piano
concertos, I head for Bilson and a few others.  There are so many recorded
interpretations which suit the music very well.  If you were to select a
concerto recording from the bins with your eyes closed, it's likely you'd
have a winner.  Even Jando on Naxos sounds good.  It's hard to screw up a
Mozart concerto.

Don Satz