Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Mon, 13 Dec 1999 18:18:05 -0800
From:
Deryk Barker <[log in to unmask]>
Joel Lazar ([log in to unmask]) wrote:

 [...]
>and Tim responded:
>
>>Joel, do you mean live Walter *Mahler* performances?
>>
>>The Patzak/Ferrier Das Lied von Der Erde is available from Decca in
>>Europe but, alas, not in the USA.
>
>What I had in mind was "anywhere, anytime"--I think that there were
>VERY few live performances ever released on 78rpm records of anything--
>Stokowski's Gurrelieder, Ormandy's Mahler 2 and the two Bruno Walter/Vienna
>Phil Mahler above are the exceptions.

Koussevitsky's BBC SO Sibelius 7, I think (it's certainly live) and there
were the BBC SO Toscanini 1936 (?) performances of IIRC Brahms 4, Elgar's
Enigma and? Were these issued at the time - I don't know.

>LPs are another matter, of course, but I have no impression of any LIVE
>Bruno Walter material on LP: the Patzak/Ferrier/Vienna Phil version on
>Decca/London is a studio recording, from the early 1950s as I recall [my
>copy of Fulop has vanished temporarily].

1952. May I *think*.

>In any event, I'm fairly sure that the Iron Needle material has its origins
>in NY Phil [or NBCSO--Toscanini had him as guest a few times] broadcasts;
>whether or not it was issued on LP or CD previously, I doubt that this is
>legit in any normal sense of the term, unless my ignorance of copyright law
>is showing.

There are two live NYPO/Walter Das Lieds floating around to my knowledge:
the 1948 Svanholm/Ferrier which is available on Naxos and in the NYPO box
- in rather better sound I gather, although it's still not great.  Then
there is a 1953 Svanholm/someonewhosenameIdon'trecall which is on Music and
Arts and varioius Italian pirates.

There is also a live Patzak/Ferrier/VPO(?)/Walter Das Lied, available from
Holland, which I have yet to acquire.

Deryk Barker