Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Mon, 6 Dec 1999 20:52:36 PST
From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Jon Lewis wrote:

>Can our Biber aficionados tell us whether the Vox set by Lautenbacher is
>an acceptable intro? I'd like to get a recording that has a fair amount
>of variety of continuo instruments.  Is there a Naxos offering?

I don't think that Naxos has recorded any Biber sonatas.  The Vox set is
on modern stringed instruments; if that doesn't bother you, the set should
be a winner - there are no flies on Lautenbacher, just her instrument.

Personally, I think period instruments are a must, and Goebel's set of the
Mystery Sonatas on Archiv is exceptional.  There was another good period
instrument recording of the Mystery Sonatas from Virgin, but that seems to
be out of print (don't remember the performers).

Don Satz